Monday, January 27, 2014

Irrational Fears

On my day trip to Snaefellsness Peninsula, I learnt something about myself. I have a lot of irrational fears. 

One: Every time I drive, I could kill or be killed.

Neither of these things happened. Although, we did a few skids and got blown around a bit.

Snowy conditions make for skid conditions.

Two: The sun rises later, the further north you go. I wondered if on this day, the sun just may not ever rise.

It did. It went from pitch black, to that glowing white you only get in a complete white out.

A relatively good 5 minute spell in the weather

Three: How long can one survive without getting hypothermia? And how long is it before hypothermia kills you?

Well, it's not long until you get uncomfortably cold in Iceland. But I think that warming up is often even more painful. And nobody died of hypothermia, so it obviously takes longer than 5 minutes for the cold to kill you.

Snow dunes at the beach.

Four: When we got the car stuck on the mountain pass, would we have to sleep there? How long would our provisions last? 

This was righted with a bit of brute strength (pushing) and making sure the car was facing the right direction (down).

Our noble steed

Five: If I were to be blown off a cliff and into the ocean below, would I survive?

Luckily, this question was not answered, although we did get blown about by the wind.

I'd probably die.

Six: I am always about to drop my phone into water.

Always a concern when you are me. And you have an expensive phone. And you are visiting a lot of aqua.


A half frozen waterfall.

Seven: What if people find out how odd I truly am after spending 12 hours in a car with me?

Well, everyone on the trip still talks to me, which I guess is a good sign. As a result of these conversations, I have a fun fact for the week to share:

Cows are the only animals that are capable of feeling humiliation.

This of course raised other questions such as:

How do you humiliate a cow?

How do you measure its humiliation levels?

Somebody suggested that this was why cows were worshipped in some countries. Given that all animals would have completed this test before the elders choose which one was to be worshipped.

Nice thought. Not sold.

So you get the picture a bit more #1

So you get the picture a bit more #2

So you get the picture a bit more #3

I have a great imagination.

1 comment:

  1. Well, you couldn't describe our adventure in a better way!

    ReplyDelete