Sunday, June 22, 2014

All Class

Having had a two-week spell away from Internet and the outside world, upon my return to civilisation I had numerous inquiries into what the time away was like.

Here is an accurate, if slightly biased account, of the most memorable 5 days of the trip.

Terraces in an village

I decided, early on, that it wouldn’t be a real trip to Africa without getting sick at least once. So I got sick.  

Down the valley

Day 1 was

“I’m all class… Look, I have vomit on my leg.”
“Hang on a minute, I just need to throw up.”
“You guys keep going, I’m just going to faint.”
“No, thanks, I won’t ride the mule… It doesn’t deserve to be vomited all over.”

Omar and his mule

Day 2 was

“I’m feeling a bit better thanks… Than yesterday… When I was chundering everywhere”

Boy selling Coke on a mountain pass

Day 3 was

“Well, I guess I’m still kind of functioning…”

Wild flowers

Day 4 was

“Never mind, I’m sick all over again”
“You really don’t want to know”

Abdullah

Day 5 was

“Oh, Dad… You have drugs… That’s nice… Thanks for mentioning that earlier…”
“Oh? You only just found them? Did you look earlier? No? Oh, well that would explain it…”
“You know Steph, you’ve come right so quickly, I just don’t think it could be the drugs.”
“I am not sold on that hypothesis, Dad.”

Lac d'Ifni with mule in the foreground


Needless to say, I was and am still, a little resentful about the 5 day lag period Dad put on looking for the drugs that were, at least in my view, my magic cure…

A mountain village

No comments:

Post a Comment