Monday, February 24, 2014

Wildlife

Wildlife
I have been in Iceland for close to two months now. I have seen three animal genres represented. Cats. Dogs. Horses.

That is all. 

The only native land mammal in Iceland is the Arctic fox. The tourist shops however, would have you believe that sheep, polar bears (not beers), harper seals and puffins are abundant.

It’s all a lie.

If polar bears make it to Iceland, they would be very hungry, hence dangerous, hence shot.

They even chained up the fake one...

 Harp seals are seasonal and not native.

They don't look super happy...

I have left Reykjavik on several occasions and have not seen one sheep.

Since when were sheep wear collars?

Puffins are most likely to be seen on your plate in a restaurant. So much for wildlife tourism.

They're not even sure of the real size....

A Wild Life
I have purposely put off talking about this ‘wild life’ since my arrival. There isn’t any doubt in my mind that Reykjavik turns people in party animals.

Confession: I only went ‘out’ three times last year, in Dunedin (a.k.a party central). Only one of these times was to town. Two of these times were in the first week of university, commonly known as O-Week.

But Reykjavik has worked its magic on me.

Kiki

Here, it is normal to go out three times a week.

Prikid (said Prikith)

Here, you can get in if you're a girl. Regardless of age.

Bravó

Here, there are parties with free alcohol.

For a good time call....

Here, if you go home before 4.00 am you’re a pussy (which ties in nicely above). Meow.

You have no idea...

Here, life gets wild.

1 comment:

  1. Haha well there are plenty of puffin on the island in the summer.... but the trolls and polar bears abounding in the shops baffle me.

    ReplyDelete