Sunday, May 24, 2015

Home Alone

I mentioned last week that my flatmates had abandoned me. They went on holiday without me (they probably planned it like that. C’est la vie). Being lonely is probably my deepest and darkest fear. So, naturally, I was anxious about spending two weeks at home alone. It sounds a bit silly now, but sometimes two weeks can be a long time. In preparation for my time at Home Alone, I thought very seriously about watching Home Alone, the original, on VHS. However, that idea never lifted off, because I would have had to watch the video tape (literally) on the TV, which is in the lounge, which is cold. My bed is a much happier option, which didn't have Home Alone, The Original.  While I didn’t end up watching Home Alone, the house was been suitably booby-trapped. Maybe I’m joking; maybe I’m not. Who knows. Maybe you should try me…

Me.
Or the kid off Home Alone.
Or whatever.

Much to my great surprise, I actually enjoyed myself a lot. I had all sorts of great experiences. I listened to lots of music – I needed something to fill the silence. I don’t usually like talking about my taste in music, because I feel that music is a window to one’s soul, but meh. I was listening to my indie-folk playlist (made by some other indie-folk listening person) on the internet (as you do) and I got really annoyed at their song choice. While listening to my indie-folk playlist, I thought, ‘this is such a mainstream indie playlist.’ I’m so indie, that I find indie music mainstream. How indie is that?

It was at this time that I picked up my music playing device in a rage and threw it across the room. It hit the opposite wall hard, and fell to the floor. There it lay for the remainder of the evening, punished for its poor music choice, banished from my good graces.

My reaction to the situation
(See below)

All sorts of other fun things happened too… Like I watched What We Do In The Shadows; only the best New Zealand film in the history of New-Zealand-kind. It was one of my New Year’s resolution to stop swearing; at this stage, it is not going well. However, my motivation was renewed after watching this film. My new mantra is ‘we’re werewolves, not swearwolves.’

My vampire friend, Viago

On Friday, I read a great blog post some random had written. It was called, ‘Why your Friday night would be more fulfilling if you just stayed in.’ It all sorts of great reasons why staying in on Friday night is good for your health. As I considered my many social engagements last Friday and read this blog, I decided to stay home, because, after all, ‘It designates a time for… alone time.’ I hadn’t had enough of that recently. Alone time was definitely something that I needed more of. It was wonderful. That me time. So good for my overall mental, spiritual and emotional health.

Seems legit.

I also got visited by some super cute prickly friends. I didn’t realise until very recently, that for Americans, wild hedgehogs are a novelty. I had this little hedgehog come and visit my lawn. Apparently that’s exciting for an American. If nothing else, her enthusiasm made me appreciate the experience more. Later on in the week, Rosie found a hedgehog and tried to make friends with it by putting it in her mouth. And biting down. So…

My not so furry friend

Perhaps most importantly, however, I realised that I am my parent’s daughter (surprise, surprise). I’d been complaining, during the weeks prior to my flatmates departure, that they had not been pulling their weight around the house; that they were the reason that the house was such a tip. Turns out they aren’t… I think that we are all as bad as each other. You see, my dad and I have a very similar work desk organisation method. And my mum and I have a very similar kitchen bench organisational method. You might not be able to see it. Fear not; it is a subtle method. I wouldn’t expect you to understand.

How I like the kitchen table

How I like the kitchen bench

I also managed not to go to the supermarket for the past two weeks. I survived on nothing but rice and water. Kind of joking. Not really. It was very Bear Grylls style.

Very Bear Grylls

So the flatmates got home today. They were a little unnerved about just how happy I was having been left at home for the last two weeks. It is great to have them home. They cooked me a dinner with more flavours in one meal, than I have had in the last two weeks.

Maybe I’m as useless as I sound; maybe I’m not.

Who knows?

The nose knows.

And this is what happens if you get left alone for long periods of time.

The end.

No comments:

Post a Comment