Monday, November 18, 2013

(un)awareness

There are lots of ways in which one can be aware. Here are two ways in which I was not this week.

Physically

Normally, I am very co-ordinated, graceful and aware of my limbs. I’m also not a big sleeper.

On arrival in Paris, my travelling companions kindly thought to take me to the Eiffel Tower. (I say take me because I was so tired that I almost needed a leash so they didn’t lose me).  My sleep deprivation led to me stumbling over myself on the Metro on the journey home.

 The Eiffel Tower

The Metro on a better day

I also slept through my first cinematic experience in France – but I don’t think that this was too much of a cardinal sin because the movie was in English (French subtitles).

We ventured to the Louvre on day 2 and I had to have a rest (sit down) every time a room had seats. I nearly missed my seat and landed on the floor three times.


Culturally

Paris is known for its style. Most Parisians wear neutral colours and there is a very distinctive style. I, with my purple jacket and light blue jeans, do not fit this code at all. I am a comparatively colourful character and distinctly unFrench.

I have discovered that runners in Paris always run in the same direction around a park. Without fail. I failed.

Jogging in Paris

One excerpt for my travel journal is ‘we walked toward the Pantheon and saw that… We then walked down some famous street… We then walked and found the park surrounded by houses…’ And so it continues - I’m not even kidding.

However, I think that my lack of French cultural awareness is genetic. 

I text my dear parents:

‘Today we went to the Louvre’

The Louvre


To which they replied:

“Awesome picture thanks… What is the big triangular picture of?”

I cringed a little.

Only a slightly less cynical note, it has been a great first week in Paris. Here is a taste of what we have been up to…
Sacre Coeur

Merry-go-round

A French protest

Christmas in Paris

Until next week - stay beautiful!

P.S. As an aside, and completely unrelated to everything else, I just dropped my sock in the toilet. I have no idea how.

No comments:

Post a Comment