Monday, March 17, 2014

Adventure Day

I think that it would be fair to say that I have a rhythm here now. I have permanent plans every night of the week. If that’s not rhythm, structure and settled, I don’t know what is.

Friday is designated Adventure Day.

It has become Adventure Day, because Thursday night (normally) does not require recovery. And I have no class. And that way, if your plans fail, the rest of the weekend is still available for doing things. Getting out and about. Seeing the world. Witnessing wonders. Or doing nothing. Whichever I prefer.

Not a bad day for Iceland

Adventure Day last week consisted of a glacier hike. Unfortunately, I am under the influence of enough non-Kiwis to have started calling it hiking…

Despite the terminology, it was cool.

I nearly died.

That wee anomaly in the far distance is the top

Snaefellsjökull

Not because we didn’t have an ice axe at all in the group. Or a rope. Or a helmet. Or use our crampons. But because it was a beasty hill. And I’d only had about 4 ½ hours sleep. And now I am making excuses for myself, which is embarrassing.

That black dot is a person

But admittedly, it was a long way up. 1, 446 m to be precise.  Not that anybody was counting. Apart from me. I counted. I’m not kidding. Sometimes there is only one way up. And that is by counting. So that is what I did.

A side slope

Every time we stopped I thought:

Well, it’s quite nice here. Will walking up the hill really make me happy?

Which it did. Eventually.

Almost there

Not a bad view from the bottom

Or from the top

At the conclusion of this adventure, I decided that was enough adventuring for one week and proceeded to enjoy festivities organised for St Paddy’s Day, which started two days before the actual day and stretch three days afterward.

Because it’s Iceland.

And there is little else to do but eat, sleep, drink and be merry.

So we ate, slept, drank and were merry.

No comments:

Post a Comment