Monday, March 24, 2014

Intellectuals

Some weeks, I have self-realisations. This week, I had one of those. I have had this thought before, but it was highlighted this weekend, when I spent a weekend with a group of intellectuals.

Ugla keeping watch

I realized that I know sweet nothing about a great deal many things.

The intellectual bunch

I had known that I enjoyed talking smack and having nothing conversations, however, it was not until this past week that I had had it confirmed that this was a New Zealand trait, rather than just me.

The ponies

On Skype this week:

My friend excitedly told me that she had been at the gym recently and much to her great amusement, somebody had fallen off the treadmill. You’ve got to have to some legitimate reason to go to the gym.

The birds, the bees, the flowers and the sea

My sister told me, giggling away to herself, that she had been to a wedding, only for the newly weds to have the horrible misfortune of missing their plane to their honeymoon destination. Perhaps a foreshadowing of their relationship? Let’s hope not. But an amusing incident all the same.

Snapped a pic of the most photographed mound in Iceland

My sister also told me about her colleague who had annoyingly been 'reminding' her about washing her hands and hygiene in general, while working at the hospital. Much to my sister's satisfaction, her colleague was the victim of gastroenteritis. Unfortunate, but those kind of people are really annoying. Karma can be a bitch.

A town

This weekend just past, the topics of conversation were literature, philosophy, language, politics and history.

Not cold at all...

It made me think about what we talk about if my friends from home and I try to talk about any of the above topics.

Literature: Did you read Twilight?

The coast-line

Philosophy: I had a deep thought the other day. But I can’t remember it now.

Snaellfellsjökull

Language: English is the universal language.

House of enlightenment (I need to live here)

Politics: John Key is a dweeb.

The beach (The bitch?)

History: Stuff happened before I arrived on Earth? Doubt it.

Lifting Stones Beach - my own translation

It wasn’t a complete bust though, with good friends, perfect weather, northern lights, seals, dolphins, whales, and cake, my weekend could have been worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment